Two Instruments being built are nearing the completion stage as most of the material has been formed to its final shape, before being assembled, finessed, then successfully varnished and set up. Violin is not available. The Viola is still unspoken for.
With the corpus of the instrument now assembled and the scroll carved. I’m getting ready to prepare the neck for installation on a violin model that is already spoken for. I used this model for my last commission with great success. Differences in this one include an ebony cap emulating an artistic repair commonly seen on older instruments of great value.
Measure across the length of the arch with my small LeeValley keychain measuring tape:
Back Length: 358mm
Lower bout: 207mm
“C” bout: 113mm
A little bit further behind progress wise is a new viola, designed around playability and responsiveness for players with smaller hands/frames that still demand a powerful sound. The upper treble side shoulder of this viola has been made smaller to make getting around the instrument easier. This is my first instrument to feature doubled (inlaid) purfling. I used it to draw attention to the smaller treble side, to trick the eye from focusing on the non-symmetrical shape of the outline.
Measuring using the same trusty tape the viola currently shapes up in the following dimensions.The arch goes almost completely to the edge which is to be turned and shaped during/after the installation of the rib structure.
Upper bout: 192mm
“c” bout: 130mm
Lower bout: 238mm